Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Wrong Kitchen....So many do

The Wrong Kitchen
Grandmother would sit me between her legs to scratch my dandruff and unravel my plaits
We didn't know then dandruff was a sign of nervousness hives tough emotional decisions things seen that were better unseen
We thought love could cure anything a doll here a favorite caramel cake there
The arguments, the slaps, the chairs banging against the wall, the pleas to please stop would disappear under quilts aired in fresh air would be forgotten after Sunday School teas and presentations for the Book Club
We didn't know then why I played my radio all night and why I kept a light burning
We thought back then it was my hair that was nappy
So we
trying to make it all right
straightened the wrong kitchen.

~Nikki Giovanni~

No comments: